31 January, 2009
2. The Too Good Looking for Me Guy, because those are your insecurities talking, and you should tell them to shut up!
3. The Dumb Jock, because there's a lot to be said for endurance.
4. The Potentially Gay Guy for the potentially forever friendship.
5. The Pretentious Intellectual. If nothing else, you'll have the whole who-vs.-whom thing solved forever.
6. The Much Older Man, to get it out of your system!
7. The Non-commital Guy, because he's a rite of passage that will bond you with every other woman on earth.
8. The Guy Who Needs to Be Saved, to teach you that you can't do that for anybody.
9. The Money-Hungry Bastard. You'll quickly scratch "rich" off your wish list.
10. The Cute-but-Dorky Guy, because in the long run, dorky might not matter.
*courtesy of a very old issue of Glamour
28 January, 2009
I sink into him, hoping to find safety where I know it doesn't exist. Time heals all wounds, I think. We can heal together. I'm Wendy, I can pull together the Lost Boy.
Months later, the secrets and lies have piled up. I can no longer step over them or brush them under the bed. It's October. By the end of the month, I'll be gone.
Even Wendy left Neverland when she got tired of the games.
26 January, 2009
25 January, 2009
*Image courtesty of Russian Glamour
23 January, 2009
22 January, 2009
20 January, 2009
I need a vacation. Time to start planning another Eurotrip....who knows, maybe i'll be pulled into another Roman street show...
14 January, 2009
I woke up this morning in a panic, the sheets twisted all around me, applications and pamphlets strewn across the floor. I started thinking of all the details I'd previously filed under the "I'll deal with that later" tab--financial aid, paying off loans, moving costs, acceptance/rejection, application deadlines, test registration deadlines, forms, visas, paperwork, paperwork, paperwork.
Suddenly, images of my strolling through Paris with books in one hand and a baguette in the other are replaced with me sitting in a hole, watching as a papers and deadlines pile on top of me until my vision goes black.
Regrets start to creep in--why didn't I work harder to pay off my debt? why didn't I apply sooner and to more schools? what if I am not accepted anywhere?
It doesn't help that I've been dreaming of moving to Europe for years. YEARS.
I know I should consider the realistic path and stay in Chicago for one more year, pay off all my loans and save for a move abroad. But just when I begin to convince myself that I can handle another year, that it will fly by, I see a photograph of Positano, or read a page from my travel journal and it feels like my heart will literally break into pieces if I stay here any longer.
I know exactly what I want in life, I just don't know how to get it.
13 January, 2009
Leave my secretary with absolutely nothing to do for seven hours, then give her ten projects to do at 4pm. Then, just for fun, I'll stop by her desk at 5pm as I'm leaving for the day. I'll tell her to go home but offer no advice on how she is supposed to both go home and complete the tasks I have assigned.
Walk to my secretary's desk and ask her to fax a piece of paper despite the fact that the walk to the fax machine would have been shorter than the walk to her.
Say things like “You! I need it now! Where is it?” then run into my office and slam the door, giggling at the fact that even I don’t know what I’m talking about.
05 January, 2009
Happy New Year!! Here's to a New Year filled with new travels, new friends and new memories!
Here's a meme I stole from Michelle's wonderful blog, Bleeding Espresso (http://bleedingespresso.com)--
1. What are 5 things you were doing ten years ago?
*Celebrating my 12th birthday with family and friends. I seem to recall getting hit in the head with a pinata bat
*Learning to rollerblade
*Listening to Ace of Bace all the time
*Planning my dream wedding to Prince Charming (who, by the way, has yet to find me)
*Spending long summer breaks at home with my sisters, lounging at the community pool
2. What are 5 things on your to do list for today?
* Unpack the kitchen, living room and my room (just moved into a new appartment with two roommates! boxes everywhere)
*Catch up with all my e-mail buddies
*Sign up for kickboxing classes
*Go to bed early!!
3. What are your 5 favorite snacks?
*gelato (any kind)
* apricots from Armenia
4. What would you do if you were a millionaire?
*pay of all my debt
*buy a villa in Positano and apartments in Paris, Barcelona and Rome
* buy my parents a nice villa in Tuscany
*send lots of money to my relatives in Armenia
*pay for graduate school
*travel, travel, travel
*save/invest the rest (whatever's left of it!!)
5. Where are 5 places you have lived?
*In a high rise apartment overlooking a park and beautiful forest in Riga, Latvia
*In a crowded apartment on a tree lined street in the charming neighborhood of Mont Royal in Montreal, Quebec.
*In a charming studio in the 6th arrondisment of Paris, just a few cobblestone lined steps from the pharmacie and boulangerie
*In stifling hot and brutally boring Tulsa, Oklahoma
*Currently living in a cosy apartment surrounded with cafes and boutiques in Chicago, Illinois.