*HOME* *ABOUT ME* *PUBLICATIONS* *CONTACT*

25 February, 2009

And The Countdown Begins

This year, I'm giving up chocolate for Lent and am adding regular exercise and self-reflection.

I used to be so strong in my faith. I grew up Armenian Orthodox, and, although my parents never pushed religion on me, I naturally felt a strong attachent to God. I wasn't Miss. Goody-Two Shoes, but I felt a sense of calm and security because I knew there was someone up there watching over me.

As I grew older, my logic led me to question my faith and, although I still believe in God, I don't feel him. I don't feel the security and calm. Today I went to church for the first time since my Granfather died a year ago. Walking into the church, I was flooded with a profound sense of peace that I haven't felt in a long time.

I think its time God and I worked on our relationship. I'm going to use the next 40 days to think about what's really important in life. I'm going to re-evaluate my relationships, write out my goals and try and figure out what it is that I want from this life.

I'm going to dig deep into my inner wilderness-- flush out my sins, laziness and empty vanity. And I will come out stronger and more self-aware.

At the very least, if I stick to my no-chocolate rule, I'll come out thinner ;)

1 comment:

qualcosa di bello said...

i join you in this chocolate fast...i am also fasting from the internet before 5 pm everyday (a real eye opener for time management!)