*HOME* *ABOUT ME* *PUBLICATIONS* *CONTACT*

09 March, 2009

I Like to Move It, Move It

One of my resolutions for 2009 is to care less about what other people think. I've stuck to it so far, and its been incredibly liberating. When I get ready in the mornings, I pick out what I will wear for the day based on how I feel, what makes ME feel good rather than thinking "what will other people think when they see me?". When I'm out dancing with my girlfriends, I don't care about how stupid I look, or if I'm singing too loudly or dancing outrageously.

Because honestly, one day (hopefully very, very far away), when I'm lying on my deathbed, I doubt I will be thinking about whether or not that hottie at that one bar was impressed with my dancing. But I WILL remember how good it felt to let loose, shake my hair out of the ponytail and climb up onto that bar!

"When you consider something like death, after which (there being no news flash to the contrary) we may well go out like a candle flame, then it probably doesn't matter if we try too hard, are awkward sometimes, care for one another too deeply, are excessively curious about nature, are too open to experience, enjoy a nonstop expense of the senses in an effort to know life intimately and lovingly. It probably doesn't matter if, while trying to be modest and eager watchers of life's many spectacles, we sometimes look clumsy or get dirty or ask stupid questions or reveal our ignorance or say the wrong thing or light up with wonder like the children we all are..." --Diane Ackerman in A Natural History of the Senses

1 comment: