*HOME* *ABOUT ME* *PUBLICATIONS* *CONTACT*

16 February, 2009

Office Bloopers

I usually consider myself an intelligent human being. I went to a good school where I got good grades despite skipping most classes and procrastinating until the last possible minute. I graduated two years ago and, since then, it seems I have been sliding down the slippery slope of stupidity. I blame the real world.

Exhibit A: Conversation between Self and Boss several days ago

Boss: Ana, I'm going to be out of town next week, would you mind watering my plants for me while I'm gone?
Me: Sure, Boss, no problem!
Boss: I usually just grab a coffee pot from the kitchen and use that as a watering can.
Me: Oh.....I've never heard of watering plants with coffee. It's a good idea though, it must work as a great fertalizer.
(insert several seconds of awkward silence)
Boss: I suppose I should have clarified...fill the coffee pot with WATER.

Exhibit B: The Fax Machine

I started my first job at a law firm at the height of the rush period. As such, my first few weeks on the job consisted of an abnormal amount of faxing documents. I, of course, didn't mind. After all, better to be doing mindless work faxing documents than being forced to do actual work. After a few days of faxing, I started receiving phone calls from clients who had been expecting faxes, saying they never received anything.

"Well, I clearly remember faxing those documents over to you, Mr./Mrs. _____". Then I would pause, allowing for the implication that they were very stupid to hang in the air.

It was a few weeks later that I noticed that handy little symbol on the fax machine which instructs the user to put papers in upside down. I had been faxing blank pages for weeks.

1 comment:

qualcosa di bello said...

you are in good company...i could easily see myself doing either