*HOME* *ABOUT ME* *PUBLICATIONS* *CONTACT*

07 April, 2009

Like No Tomorrow



Don't be afraid of death. Be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.
-Tuck Everlasting

My greatest fear has always been death. Add the fact that I'm a hypochondriac and you have a pretty miserable combination. It doesn't help that WebMD diagnoses all my symptoms as possible signs of a brain aneurism. Fear of dying is a very debilitating fear. When I was younger I used to go days without sleeping because I was afraid I would die in my sleep. Losing my Grandfather last March was a reality check. Suddenly, I was confronted with death and had to deal with it, whether I liked it or not. A friend recommended a book called "The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying". I read it, and, although it didn't magically cure me of my fear, it taught me that, in a way, we're all dying, so we better learn how to live.

2 comments:

204 said...

I can always link my symptoms to whichever fatality seems most extreme while perusing webmd for an answer, too. At least I think there are a lot of us in this together!

I, myself have no fear of dying ... but I have the most grotesque and persistent OBSESSION with my family dying, ESPECIALLY my mother. I have had slews and slews of nightmares since I was a child of the thousands of ways she can go.

Anyway, the quote is perfect. The photo all the more suiting. And reading yours and Jenovia's blog makes me think, I really ought to update my own!

Anait said...

I used to have horrible dreams about my mother dying--wake up in a cold sweat, tears running down my cheeks. The people we love are such a big part of us that it feels like if they die, a part of us dies too.

yes, update your blog!! I've already stalked all your awesome old entries, now I need new material! muaha