*HOME* *ABOUT ME* *PUBLICATIONS* *CONTACT*

20 April, 2009

Moving Forward (Full Speed Ahead!!)

I’ve been thinking a lot these past few months about where I want to go in life and how I’m going to get there. At night, I close my eyes and try to see myself in the next few years. The image is always the same….I am in Europe (read: Paris) working with a human rights organization, traveling the world. What has kept me awake at night all these months, often for hours, is HOW to get there. So many paths, so many choices to make.

Thankfully, this past week I’ve received some good news that’s put my mind at ease. I’ve reached a point of clarity and, for now, the road ahead seems simple. I finally know how to get to where I want, NEED, to be.

I’ve been accepted to the University of Illinois-Chicago Masters in Political Science program. I will start classes this Fall and continue into Spring of 2010. Then, in September 2010 I will be permanently moving to Paris. I’ll be finishing the remainder of my MA coursework/thesis work at Sorbonne and, afterwards, looking for a job with an NGO somewhere in Europe.

I feel such a calm KNOWING that I am on my way to fulfilling my dreams. Of course, I’m going to have to make some sacrifices to get there. In August I will most likely move back in with my parents in order to save money. This means that I will be commuting back and forth from the city—combine that with working full time and evening classes and there is no doubt that there will be days where I’ll be banging my head against the table. BUT I have to keep myself focused on the light at the end of the tunnel (PARIS!!) and remind myself that the sacrifices I make now—the commuting, the loss of freedom, etc.—are all for a (very) good cause.

5 comments:

JouJou Loves You said...

YES YES YES!!! First of all , I LOVE all of the back pictures. See it be it, moving forward is RIGHT!!!

I'm so proud of you. In all honesty, moving in with your parents is the BEST thing. Take advantage of that opportunity!!! Some times we need to make little pit stops to recharge for the grand adventure ahead, this is exactly what you are doing. One year will be nothing in comparison to YEARS spent roaming all over Europe and the rest of the world (esp. N. Africa :) Bravo to taking the reigns and being the master of your path. I am so so so so so so proud of you and I can't wait until we are on the same side of the globe!!!

Excitement should be fluttering throughout your body. It has begun, now LIVE LIVE LIVE LIVE!!!!

Bisous et je suis fière de toi!!!

204 said...

Huge congratulations! Its going to be so inspiring hearing about what transpires. All of your effort will pay off and I agree with J, pit stops like that are totally beneficial. YAYYYYY!!!!!!!!

Anait said...

J--thank you SO MUCH for your support and all those pep talks when I needed them....you gave me that extra push I needed to take the plunge!! I CANT WAIT to be on the same side of the ocean!! I'm hoping the year will fly by. muahahahah, I am DEF coming to N. Africa!!!! bisous!!xo

204-(I don't think I know your real name....unless I forgot in which case I'm sorry!!!) Thanks for the support!!!! It's so humbling to have people i've never met be so supportive and inviting!! :) Hahah i'm not sure how much of an inspiration I'll be, but it seems like you're up to pretty inspiring things yourself!! keep up the awesome freelancing!!xo

qualcosa di bello said...

brava!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what wonderful news...

Anait said...

qualcosa di bello: grazie!!!! :)