*HOME* *ABOUT ME* *PUBLICATIONS* *CONTACT*

08 May, 2009

Not A Demented Bee

Only 11 days left until I leave for Spain/France! It's all I think about....correction, PARIS is all I think about. It consumes my thoughts, sneaks itself into my dreams and appears when I least expect it. Just yesterday I was walking home after a HORRIBLE day at work. Stressed out, my feet barely moving in heels, hair drenched from the rain (why is it that I never have an umbrella when it's raining?), I was exhausted beyond belief. Then, as I crossed the street, a man walked by wearing a shirt with PARIS printed accross the front. Suddenly, the rain was charming and my feet didn't hurt as much (yes, I would like some wine with that cheese!)

I've started thinking about what to pack. I'm bringing only a carry-on suitcase and a small shoulder bag/purse. This, combined with weight restrictions, means I am severely limited in what I can bring. Do I bring a blow dryer? Straightener? Or do I just brave the elements and let my curly hair do its thing? What shoes do I bring? Will I really wear those ridiculously cute but blister inducing black and white striped heels?

Finally, I had to mentally smack myself and focus. One pair of heels and curly hair it is. The less I bring, the more freedom I have (and okay, the more room I have to bring back things I buy there!!).

I absolutely cannot wait for this trip. I have no itinerary planned, no required sightseeing. I'm staying with a friend in Madrid and I'll let him show me his side of the city. As for Paris, I plan on losing myself in the side streets, wandering through the gardens, people-watching from the sidewalk cafes and spending as much time as I can with a certain someone. It's liberating being free from both material posessions and plans. I'm going to go where the wind takes me on this trip...I know I won't be dissapointed.

Only one major thing left to do: BUY MY PLANE TICKET!!!

"The ones who recognised that love is enough and that possessions are borrowed pastimes, will float free to the exit sign, their arms ready to hug their friends, their toothbrush in their pocket. The ones who stayed up late, gathering and gathering like demented bees, will find that you can take it with you. The joke is that you have to carry it yourself" --*From Jeanette Winterson's “The World and Other Places”

1 comment:

JouJou Loves You said...

OMG!!!!!!!!!

You buy your ticket NOW missy!!!! We are going to be soooo close...I'm happier just knowing you will be just across the pond. You MUST MUST MUST document everything!!!!! I'm soooo exciteed for you ma belle!!!!!