*HOME* *ABOUT ME* *PUBLICATIONS* *CONTACT*

31 August, 2009

Breath of Fresh Air

The past few weeks have brought a lot of change to my life. It was as if I woke up one day and BAM! it hit me, I am not the same person I was five years ago, or even a year ago. Perhaps it is the change of seasons, or changing circumstances in my life, but I feel like an entirely new me. I think of the life I dreamed for myself when I was younger. I am not living that exact life now, but, whereas a few months ago that would have upset me, I now don't mind the change. You cannot compare the present to dreams of the past. It will never quite measure up. I am learning to take the present at face value and to build new dreams, new goals to work towards.

The weather is getting colder and everytime I walk outside, a cool breeze envelopes me and I breathe in fresh, crisp air. It's invigorating.

Thank you everyone for your advice and encouragement about the possibility of doing research in Turkey. You all brought up concerns and thoughts that I myself had, and its nice to feel that I have a small support group who cares enough to give advice. For now, I am going to go through the application steps and doing a little investigating into who I could work with over there, living conditions, etc. Of course, Paris and Madrid remain on the radar as well. I want to keep all doors open, and will make a decision a few months down the road when my choices are clearer.

I've been busy with work and school, but also with an exciting project of my own. A few months ago, a friend and I started a non-profit organization dedicated to helping victims of genocide in Africa. It has taken a while, but we are finally ready to go public. A website is almost up, and we are going to begin fundraising soon. Business cards are being printed, e-mail addresses set up and connections established. It's extremely time consuming but incredibly rewarding as well. I'll share more details once the website is finished.

Hard to believe that it is already the last day of August. It's scary but comforting at the same time to think how fast time flies. There are things I need more time for, but others that I cannot wait to happen, the faster the better.

September promises to be an exciting month. I've got trips (Montreal and Toronto) planned, papers due and birthdays to celebrate (mine included!).

Many decisions to make which means, more Sangria.

Salud!

4 comments:

Madeleine said...

I'm glad you woke up into this new air--and how wonderful that you are doing great things. I am interested and respect your non-profit. How fantastic of you! Keep moving forward with your dreams and plans. It's clear that you are doing so well.

JouJou Loves You said...

I think you are doing an AAAAAMAZING job, all the little bumps in the road just add to your beauty. We are all rooting for you cherie!!!!!

All of this hard work is going to be worth it. The world will sit in your palm....hell it already is!!!!!

I'm proud of you and I'm in your corner baby!!!! Fight the good fight!!!!!

204 said...

I'm proud of you. How wonderful!

And hats off to more Sangria.

Des said...

Your non-profit organization sounds outstanding and thank you for taking the time and effort it must take to do such important work.