*HOME* *ABOUT ME* *PUBLICATIONS* *CONTACT*

24 August, 2009

Full Circle

As I make my way through the campus grounds to class, I walk the same path I did five years ago when I was an undergraduate freshman.

Then, I was naive, unsure. I walked with a campus map in hand, wearing sneakers, jeans and a sweatshirt, a backpack laden with books and my shoulders heavy with the uncertainty of who I was and what I wanted.

Today, I walk purposfully, with a quick stride, a woman of the world. My heels click on the sidewalk, my skirt bouncing back and forth with each step. I know who I am and what I want.

As I walk into class and sit down, I feel a rush of anticipation. Notebook out, pen in hand, I am engulfed with feelings of deja-vu. The surrounds are the same, yes. But I am changed. The past five years were filled with change and new adventures. I loved and I lost. Cried tears of joy and of sorrow. The girl who walked onto this very same campus five years ago never imagined she could be the woman who is sitting here now.

Five years ago, i put down the foundation to my future. Today, I begin stacking the bricks.

1 comment:

a taste of madeleine said...

It's a great feeling to be in control and aware of who you are, and what you are here to do--and to remember all that you went through to get there.