*HOME* *ABOUT ME* *PUBLICATIONS* *CONTACT*

22 September, 2009

Another year...


Today, I turn 23 years old. And although I am by no means old, I feel older. A year ago, thinking of high school or of college, I would have said: It feels just like yesterday. Today, I think about those days and they seem further away...I look at older photographs with nostalgia and no longer feel completely one with the girl in the photographs. I've changed and, although I cannot pinpoint the exact moment it happened, I've entered a new chapter of my life.

Change is the only constant in life and this past year has been full of it. From a new apartment, to new travels and new friends, my life is richer, more profound than it was a year ago.Every year, my birthday passes and it seems like the next one is so far away. The next thing I know, fall is in the air and I am another year older.

Sometimes, I miss the days when boys had cooties, when dreams were limitless, decisions came easily, right was right and wrong was wrong and fights on the playground were the biggest source of moral turmoil in life. Nights when a night light was enough to quench all fears and heartbreak was accidentaly dropping a perfectly good ice cream cone on the sidewalk. Years when friendships were steadfast and parents had the magical ability to right all wrongs.

Over time, my heart has been broken, and I have broken hearts. I've faught with my best friend, lost loved ones and cried because time passes too quickly. No nightlight can mask my insecurities about the future, and I have learned to make decisons without relying on my parents.

Life is short so I will take pictures, document my thoughts and chase my dreams so that when another year flies by, I will flip through my journals, look at photographs and marvel at how much I have changed...again.

7 comments:

Scintilla @ Bell'Avventura said...

Happy, Happy Birthday! You are very young but also very wise for your years...

JouJou Loves You said...

JOYEUX ANNIVERSAIRE!!!!!!!!!!

Another amazing year for the record books. I hope you have a phenomenal day and YES! Document everthing!!!

I hope you are so excited about what is to come!!!!

Des said...

Excellent post. I hope you have a very happy birthday!

Simply Mel said...

Such a wonderful post! So true - savor and enjoy every moment realizing that time is fleeting.

Happy Birthday!

Anait said...

Thank you from the bottom of my heart!! You are all absolutely wonderful
xo

Madeleine said...

I hope you enjoyed your birthday! You are so right in this post, especially the last sentence. In this next year, you will again change so much and be so much wiser. Take care hun! xxx

katerinafiore said...

Brava amica! I love this post! Everything u said is exactly how I feel too when my b-day comes around...soon I will be 29...quasi 30...

but the dreams will keep on being accomplished each step of the way.

baci bella!!