*HOME* *ABOUT ME* *PUBLICATIONS* *CONTACT*

14 November, 2010

Letter to My Sister

Okay, so I skipped a few days. I'm back on track now.

Dear Sister,

Right now you are playing the piano and I. Absolutely. Can't. Stand. It.

I don't know why, but ever since you started practicing for a few hours a day at age 4, I've had this deep-seated dislike, perhaps even loathing for the piano. But honestly, deep inside, I admire your talent and your hard work, even if I can't appreciate it.

We've had our ups and downs and sometimes I feel I still hold a little resentment towards you for things that happened in the past. But then I think of how much you have grown, your incredible generosity, stunning creativity and kindness, and I am reminded of how lucky I truly am.

A few years ago, you wrote me a letter for my birthday, and I was absolutely stunned by how well you know me, it was completely unexpected. I'm really happy that we are slowly becoming friends, not only sisters. I loved people watching with you in London, walking the streets in Armenia, long walks to the library over the summer, and late-night talks in your room about how unreasonable parents can be.

Remember when we were little and I used to drag my mattress from my room to yours so we could have sleepovers? I don't think our parents ever understood why, after years of sharing the same room and fighting over whose side was cleaner, we would voluntarily sleep in the same space, just for fun. Actually, neither do I!

I have to admit, when I was little I wanted desperately to be an only child (probably because you were always stealing things from my room and I dreamt of a place where I didn't have to hide my "treasures" under sweaters and such). But then I realized, who would I have to share my childhood memories with?

I am so lucky to have such an amazing sister in my life (now, can I borrow your earrings?).

No comments: