*HOME* *ABOUT ME* *PUBLICATIONS* *CONTACT*

14 December, 2010

Frustrated.


Since starting graduate school, I moved back with my parents to save money. In the meanwhile, my love moved here from New York and is living with his brother in the city. We have plans to move in together around summer.

After a year of a long-distance relationship, what more could I ask for than being in the same city, seeing each other a few times a week and having plans for our own place in the very near future?

Well, my parents complicate things. While his parents are more relaxed (he is the youngest of three, after all), welcoming and have basically made me feel as if I am already part of the family, mine are super conservative and are taking their time in accepting him, regardless of the fact that he is EXACTLY the type of man they have always wanted for me. Of course, they are very nice to him and my mom has made no secret of wanting us to get married ASAP.

And there's the problem. They basically won't "officially" except him until we're engaged. This means no sleeping over at his place, no displays of affection between us when near my parents, etc. etc. On one hand, I understand. I am the oldest of three girls and this is a first for my parents, not to mention precedent for my younger sisters. On the other hand, its MY life and its not as if I'm out every night with a different man. He has talked to my dad and told him that he will marry me and love me for the rest of my life. I thought that would break the ice but words, it seems, are no match for a ring on my finger.

All I want is to be able to, at least once a week, fall asleep in his arms and kiss him good morning.

The saying goes, parents know best. But, ultimately, they are human, like me, and prone to errors in judgment and to being stubborn and unreasonable. I don't think they are taking the right approach to this and I doubt our relationship will be the same for it. It is so, so frustrating having to put my life on hold while I am living under their roof.

(via)

3 comments:

Diana Mieczan said...

Ohhh I am so sorry about that! Hope you both can move in together soon:)
Hugs and kisses, darling

Ps: I am hosting a charming scarf GIVEAWAY today, just in time for cozy Christmas!

Jenni said...

I totally understand girl. You're parents mean well... and unfortunately, as long as you're living with them you really have to respect their wishes. But it IS your life. Hang in there!

Anait said...

Thank you thank you for your encouraging comments on my mini tantrum :)