*HOME* *ABOUT ME* *PUBLICATIONS* *CONTACT*

19 January, 2011

Judgment

I watched THIS video for the first time last night ( Susan Boyle's first audition) and cried.

It's a perfect illustration of how blatantly cruel we humans can be, of how we judge people by their looks or origins, and, perhaps worst of all, how we use those judgments for our entertainment.

If you haven't watched the video already, please take the time and do. It is incredibly humbling and a blunt reminder of how beauty comes in all forms. The challenge is to remember this every day, with every encounter. It's easy to be humbled in the moment, much harder to be continuously so.

8 comments:

Meghan said...

oh my goodness, I know. I cried when I first saw it too and I have watched it many time. Her voice sends shivers down my spine. She has an amazing talent.

LatteLisa said...

This video has been in my favourites on YouTube since it was published there. I watch it regularly and I love the moment she starts singing.

I saw a TV show about her when I lived in Denmark. The host was in fact one of the judges, Piers. Susan was interviewed and all kinds of footage was shown. Simon was also interviewed and he said that when he saw the clip himself, he felt ashamed about his behaviour. But the highlight of that TV show was at the end when Susan Boyle sang with Elaine Paige.

Susan Boyle is proof that "it is never too late to be what you might have been" ;-)

Holly said...

Oh wow, I remember seeing that when it first happened, and the looks on peoples faces are absolutely priceless!

magdalena viktoria said...

I agree completely.
If we only come out of the standard of mainstream beauty, we can see beautiful people and things in even the most surprising places.
<3

A La Mode et Plus! said...

A beautiful post and a wonderful reminder. This was a very emotional moment.

The Many Colours of Happiness said...

I've never seen that before! I don't normally cry but I did this time.
Amazing.

LatteLisa said...

I forgot one thing yesterday. Have you seen this guy, Paul Potts? This is his audition, I think in 2007, and he won the competition:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k08yxu57NA&feature=related
Since then he has made three solo albums.

Chelsea Elizabeth. said...

I cried so much the first time I watched it. And your right. We all really need to look away from just looks. its a terrible thing that people do. :(

<3Chelsea Elizabeth