*HOME* *ABOUT ME* *PUBLICATIONS* *CONTACT*

13 March, 2011

Wanderlust

(via)

Like other irresistible urges, wanderlust begins innocently enough, touched off by a late-night conversation, a good book, too much National Geographic. The desire builds. You gingerly peruse the air-fares in the Sunday paper. More desire. You fondle postcards of cozy-looking Parisian cafes with steamed-up windows. Yet more desire. You are mesmerized by the lush mountains and misty temples on faded posters in Thai restaurants. You find yourself in the travel section of bookstores and spend way too much time at travelocity.com. You wonder if it’s really necessary to have a job. It will only get worse.

Wanderlust takes many forms. For some, even those who’ve never been on a boat, the sea may suddenly beckon. Tahiti has been known to lure many a non-sailor into a vessel bound for the South Pacific. Others will long to stroll the narrow streets of Florence or play chess in the cafes of Prague.Some will crave the snows of the Himalayas, others the beaches of Mexico. Before long a chant of exotic places drums in your ears, murmuring Cuba, Barcelona, Berlin, San Francisco; Mexico, Montana, Hawaii, Nicaragua; Indonesia, Paris, Dublin. On and on, the planet sings an endless song for the imagination. Eventually the desire to escape familiar surroundings overtakes the need for the comforts of home and you are on your way.

(via)

11 comments:

LatteLisa said...

I could so relate to this post, haha. I used to stay up late with my atlas; now I've more willpower so I know when it's time for bed ;-)

Meghan said...

I love this! :)

Sienna said...

OH god, I so relate to this post. I love your descriptions of the different places...makes me wish I was in a steamy-windowed Parisian cafe right now!

Emily said...

I have such wanderlust these days!!

Alena said...

Reading this just gave me wanderlust :) Sigh. I think that means it's time for a trip!!

Tucker said...

this was beautiful. you are an incredible writer. wanderlust takes over me every.single.day.

magdalena viktoria said...

beautifully written.
i'm with you here.

jillian m. said...

i've had wanderlust for the past few years! fortunately, i'll get to travel this year (after a very loooong time without a vaction). there are so many places i'd love to see (including many that you listed) that i can't make a choice!

Diana Mieczan said...

I totally get it and would love to be somewhere amazing right now:)Have a great day, darling
Kisses

Ps: I’m hosting a cool Loop GIVEAWAY today! Hope you’ll join in:)

The Many Colours of Happiness said...

I agree with this so much, it hit me late last year and I am so desperate to travel!!

Sonja said...

gahhh don't even get me started! hehe

Such an awesome post though! :o)