*HOME* *ABOUT ME* *PUBLICATIONS* *CONTACT*

06 April, 2011

NYC, First Impressions

I left Chicago early in the morning, literally flying into the sunrise. A few hours later, I was flying over sunny New York (air travel never ceases to amaze me).

I caught a fleeting glimpse of Times Square as I made my way to my cousin and her fiancée's temporary apartment (conveniently located right off Times Square...it pays to work for a big corporation!).


They had only two short weeks to find a permanent apartment, so I dropped off my bags and off we went to explore the neighborhoods of NYC and find them the apartment of their dreams.

Spring was in full bloom, ivy crawling up stucco walls, flowers stalls on every corner and little buds reaching for the sky. Unfortunately, though spring was everywhere, the dream apartment was nowhere to be found.

Lesson of the Day: A price range that would afford a penthouse apartment in the middle of downtown here in Chicago will get you a box in Manhattan. Literally, a box. We were shocked and appalled by all the places we saw - eight flights of haphazard stairs, open electric wiring above front doors, minuscule bathrooms I could not even squeeze my hips into, the list goes on and on. It was a rude awakening for all of us.

Eventually, they did find an apartment with both space (relatively speaking) and a reasonable price range, but the apartment hunting experience made me realize that I would rather visit NYC than live there (if I am going to pay exorbitant amounts of money for a small space, I will do it in Paris!). This made the rest of the trip much more pleasant, since I was thinking less about how much I hate Chicago and love NYC (which is what happens with most places I go), and more about how wonderful both NYC and Chicago are. Am I making sense?




After a full day of strolling through the East Village, Gramercy Park (my favorite) and all the "Sides", we dragged our tired feet home (note to self, wear FLAT boots next time) and quickly fell asleep.

6 comments:

Emily said...

A lovely tale of one of my favorite cities! Have fun!

Melissa said...

I would give anything to live in New York or Paris someday even though I know it will unfortunately cost an arm and a leg =(

LatteLisa said...

That apartment hunting sounded awful but I'm glad they finally found a place and that you enjoyed your trip. I'm looking forward to reading more.

TOPCOAT said...

Enjoy nyc! xx

jillian m. said...

rent prices in the city really are ridiculous! if they want to find something a little more afforable (and spacious), then looking outside of the city is where it's at. it's kind of a pain to commute to the city everyday (which is what i do), but if you live nearby a train station, then it isn't too bad. brooklyn and queens are great options!

Sienna said...

i agree, i apartment hunted in nyc a few months ago and its soo overpriced for such a small space, which is ok, but the city, in my opinion isnt worth it. id rather spend the same money for a small space in paris or london, which is what i'm doing! lol