*HOME* *ABOUT ME* *PUBLICATIONS* *CONTACT*

24 August, 2011

Happiness, via the Lake House






Last weekend was spent at the lake house with my love's family. I always love being there...not only for the calming scenery, but for the people, especially. I am so lucky to have such wonderful people as part of my "in-law" family....though they have felt like an extension of my own parents and siblings from the very beginning.

We spent the weekend grilling over a fire pit, roasting s'mores, and indulging in scrumptious meals.

Sitting on the patio, a glass of wine in hand -- illuminated by the soft glow of lanterns -- I listened to the laughter and conversation flowing freely around the table and I realized, that is happiness. Having loved ones near, gathering around a table, no matter how elegant or simple, and forming shared memories.

Though I have the most important things in life, I sometimes catch myself placing too much importance on those that I don't yet have.

The lake house serves as a reminder that happiness is not an apartment in Paris, or a high-paying job. Happiness is having friends and family to share the apartment with, and a passion that drives ambition.

Happiness is wherever we choose to find it, and we must look for it in the present.



9 comments:

Sienna said...

i'm in love with your life right now. and roasting smores sounds perfect if you ask me.

any word on xmas in europe?

Elizabeth .: Have Your Cake Blog said...

How fun! And are those smores with Ritz crackers? That would be the perfect sweet and salty mix!

Ashley said...

couldn't agree more with that last sentence! :)

Alissa said...

Sounds like a wonderful time! I can totally picture sitting on the patio, just taking in your family and the scenery and life.

LatteLisa said...

I'm with you on your happiness philosophy. I try to remind myself everyday to not take anything for granted.

But I admit it, I often fall flat on my greedy nose; there are just so many beautiful things out there! ;-)

Helen said...

I love these pictures, and I'm so happy you had a great time! You're lucky to have great "in-laws" and a great place to share memories with!

Magdalena Viktoria said...

Beautiful ideas, beautifully written, and beautiful sentiments you share.

Allison said...

These pictures are glorious - and I love, love, love that last sentence, it's so true! (Have you read The Power? I've been reading it lately, about how if you give out positive, you'll find the positive!).
I am so happy for you, my friend, and all that you have to look forward to in the future! (Also, I got the giveaway package - you are the absolute SWEETEST. I love everything and just adore you - even my mom commented on what a perfect little box it was! You are the loveliest, xox).

L said...

Love this. So true.