*HOME* *ABOUT ME* *PUBLICATIONS* *CONTACT*

15 August, 2011

On Life and Blogging


Blogs are such a subjective look into a persons world. We write about inspiration, about our loves, our desires, our travels. But what we write is not who we are, it is simply a small glimpse.

When I write, I write for myself but, also, for my readers. And because of this, I tend to write lightly, joyfully, sensuously. I try to avoid writing when I'm in a foul mood, and I don't often divulge the problems in my life, or the frustrations.

Lately, I've read a few posts that discuss this dichotimy - the life we portray in blogs, and that which we live, everyday. And I've come to the conclusion that us bloggers aren't required to divulge the details of our lives, we have no obligation to our readers to explain who we are.

I've read quite a few blogs that began intimately, and then became more and more "commercialized" as the readership has grown. And while I believe every blogger is entitled to his/her style, I hope to keep this blog intimate. Because when I look back on almost three years (!!) of posts, it still feels as if I'm reading my personal diary, with the added bonus of your amazing comments.

I'm not sure what I"m trying to say here - just musing, I suppose. And for anyone who feels judged by anonymous commentators, or the pressure from the "blog world" to gain readers and monetize blogging, stay true to who you are, and always keep your blog as a reflection of YOUR ambitions and desires.

In other news, I'm spending the next two days at the lake house with my love and my {future} in-laws. Elaborate breakfasts, lake-side walks, starry night skies.....I love being here.

Happy Monday!


10 comments:

Kyla said...

This post is so true! My blog is still very new, and when I started I struggled at what "personality" I wanted it to have, and I think I'm still working on that, though every post is reflective of what I hope to achieve with my blog. I'm so glad you wrote this post because it sums up my thoughts/struggles very nicely :)

Annika said...

I'll come right out and say it: You know the impersonal blogs that are more like guide books or constant recounts of what a person does - we went here, then we ate there? I find them boring. I am much more interested in what goes on inside. I am much more interested in reading a person's thoughts and feelings, than to read about what they did that day.

But of course I am biased, because that's the only way I know how to write. I've written trip reports etc but they're no good. When I write my thoughts and feelings, those things that are so difficult to talk about in person, that's when the occasional magic happens.
That doesn't mean that I necessarily tell any details, though. The factual details aren't important, and they're often too private for a blog.

Natasha said...

it's nice to see that there are still people in this world who genuinely care...
p.s. Lucky you! :P

Miyan said...

i totally agree, i originally began my blog to keep my family and friends posted on whats going on in my life, and i intend to keep it that way, with a fun few posts thrown in there for other readers. have fun at the lakehouse! :)

Miyan

www.miyan-overseas.blogspot.com

Sienna said...

your life sounds like a fairytale right now, and yeah i love that you keep your blog intimate!

Sienna said...

GET LONDON TICKETS ASAP!!!
haha totally take the pic ! so not creepy! the best thing to do is find someone to do highlights with the boliage technique...it looks the most natural and has the best grow out. you can literally go like 5 months in between appointments!

jillian m. said...

First of all, love what you've said here.

I feel the same way. I try to not blog when I'm feeling blue because honestly, who wants to read that? When I come across a post where the blogger is ranting about something trivial for paragraphs and paragraphs, I have to leave the page. I come to the blogosphere for an escape. I love reading about the GOOD things in people's lives. Their travels, pets, food, love, etc. And while I realize that bloggers (including myself) are not divulging every detail of their life, that's OK. Some things are private and some things we want to share with the entire world!

The Many Colours of Happiness said...

I absolutely agree with this. I find myself questioning my blog and myself a lot, worried that people won't find it interesting. But the point of the blog was to be honest, so I'm trying to keep it that way.

I love how you have kept true to yourself for three years, you're definitely an inspiration :)

LatteLisa said...

I'm printing out your words and putting them in my journal. Yes I am, yes I am, yes I am!

Sonja said...

So true! So important to remember :o)
Also aaaaah! I missed your last few posts...you're engaaaaaged!!!!? Congratulations! :o) You're ring is gorgeous by the way