*HOME* *ABOUT ME* *PUBLICATIONS* *CONTACT*

09 November, 2011

Navy Pier, Day to Night




Back in September a friend and I stayed at the Swissotel (which I absolutely do not recommend) and though the hotel had few redeeming qualities, the view was enough to satisfy. Navy Pier was built in 1916 and designed by Daniel Burnham, who also designed the Flatiron building in New York and Union Station in Washington D.C. Before it became a Chicago tourism landmark, the Pier served as a university campus (the university I attend now!), docking space for passenger excursion steamers and, in the era before air conditioning, the outermost points of the Pier were designed to provide entertainment and cooler temperatures.

I am really hoping to manage another stroll around the Pier before the winter winds make it inhospitable.

And now I'm off to the kitchen to make pumpkin soup and roasted eggplant bruschetta.

How is your week going?

5 comments:

Emily said...

Wow, that looks so neat! It's cool to know who designed Union Station in DC - one of my favorite buildings here! xoxo

Paislea Elyse said...

uhmmm first of all! thank you for the congratulations! we are very excited!!!

and as for that pumpkin soup?! can i get a recipe?! that sounds amazing! i love anything and everything pumpkin!!!

also - thank you for the recommendation - no staying at the swissotel - check. ;)

my week is going well. just trying to figure out what i want to be when i 'grow up'. i'm back in school right now doing some generals, and don't know what i want to do with my career!!! it's tough!

i hope that you're week is going great!! see you around!

allisterbee.blogspot.com

LatteLisa said...

I think you forgot to post the pumpkin soup recipe!

Now I'm wondering, do you live outside the city? Why were you staying at a hotel?

PS. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw your latest comment. Shaving while driving?!! Are you kidding me?!!

City Girl Chicago said...

love these photos ~ they definitely made me click over! The pier is SO cold when the weather turns chilly, I think coldedr than almost any other point on our Chicago shore ~ you better get out for that stroll quick! :)

rebecca said...

cool shots. bruschetta sounds amazing!