*HOME* *ABOUT ME* *PUBLICATIONS* *CONTACT*

14 August, 2012

Going Natural: An Introduction

In the past few months, I’ve launched myself into a regiment to improve my well-being.  I want to develop good habits for the long-term rather than relying on spurts of exercise and crash diets. Let’s just say exercise is my worst enemy (Hi Jillian Michaels!). But I’m working on defeating it, and, over the past few weeks, I’m seeing a slow progress towards my goal.

Aside from taking notice of what I put in my body (eating healthy)¸ I’ve also begun to pay attention to what I put on my body.

It all started at the beginning of the summer when a friend of mine informed me about harmful ingredients in generic sunscreens. I did some research, and was appalled with my findings (I’ll have a post with more information on this, but the internet is ripe with information if you are inclined to read about it yourself). I quickly switched to mineral sunscreen, and thought no more of it.

Then, after showering one day, I was slathering on a Victoria's Secret body lotion (which fiancé and I both agree smells absolutely heavenly) and decided on a whim to google the ingredients on the tube. About 80% were linked to either cancer or reproductive issues in tests conducted on animals. This quickly led me to gather all my lotions and search their ingredients as well. The results did not make for a peaceful night’s sleep.

I’m certainly not an expert on skincare, or on toxicity. But after reading up on the ingredients in the products I used on my face and body, up to four times a day, every day, I knew a change was necessary. And though it may have been wise (financially) to use up all my products first, before diving into the uncharted waters of natural skincare, I couldn’t bring myself to use anything without thinking of potential side effects.

So for the past few weeks, I’ve been trying numerous natural/organic skincare lines, intent on finding a face moisturizer, body lotion, and cleanser that contain natural ingredients but that work like their non-natural counterparts (I am not as concerned with makeup or hair products for now, though I do plan on finding natural options once I’ve cemented a skincare routine that works).

I’ve discovered several amazing products that feel luxurious, smell divine, and produce terrific results with the assurance that what I’m putting on my body (which then sinks into my body) is not toxic.

If you are interested in your well-being, I urge you to do yourself a service and research the products you use daily.

To help you along your quest (should you choose to take it, of course), I’m starting a Tuesday series, “Going Natural”. I’ll have product reviews, information on ingredients and reading labels, etc.

Please keep in mind that I am not an expert – I am simply doing what I believe to be best for my body and for my well-being.

I hope you will enjoy and benefit from this series! I’m off to moisturize my face with coconut oil (fiancé says I smell like a cookie afterwards….that’s got to be a good thing!).  

3 comments:

Johanna said...

I totally look forward to this series. Test out Acure products. Amazing! That's what I use and I love their toner.

Inga said...

I agree. My mother makes body oils and lotions from herbs she gathers around her farm. I use her products and I feel so clean and fresh :) Like the idea of your new tuesday series.

LatteLisa LisaHjalt said...

I like your attitude girl.

Just add a few drops of some pure essential oil into your coconut oil jar and you'll smell more like a goddess than a cookie. I'm thinking Rose, Geranium Rose, Orange blossom or something like that ;-)