*HOME* *ABOUT ME* *PUBLICATIONS* *CONTACT*

11 September, 2012

Going Natural: Beauty via Vitacost

A few weeks ago, I wrote a post on going natural--on abandoning my deliciously fragrant soaps and lotions and body care products for better, more natural products free of parabens and other harmful chemicals that overtake most ingredient lists.

When I first started on my "quest" I was afraid that I wouldn't find any products to replace those that I had grown to love. I pictured myself trolling the aisles of Whole Foods, rubbing shoulders with smelly hippies, and stockpiling all sorts of strange herbal products.  

Thankfully, this has not been the case as I would have quickly reverted to my old products (my skin needs a good moisturizer, people!). 

I did check the aisles of Whole Foods, and was impressed with the numerous lines they carry. However, as I hadn't had any experience with any of the brands, I was hesitant to make a purchase. 

Luckily, through a YouTube beauty review (I'm obsessed with those!), I heard about Vitacost, a website dedicated to healthy living, offering discounted beauty and home products (they even carry pet food!). They were kind enough to let me pick out several products to try out and review. 

So, yes, this is a sponsored post; nevertheless, my review would be the same had I bought them myself. They did not ask for any special promotion of their site, only for an honest opinion of the products.

The great thing about their website is, like Amazon or other shopping sites, you can read plenty of reviews on the product. They also list the ingredients so there are no surprises. Many of their prices are also cheaper than Amazon, and very competitive compared to other websites. You can find such products as vitamins, makeup, body care, home cleaning supplies, diet products and medicines on the website. 

Bonus point, they ship internationally

I picked out a few products I had heard about from blogs and YouTube...here are my thoughts:

 
 

If the name doesn't give it away,this body butter smells absolutely delicious. The shea butter scent does come through after a while, leaving a more nutty rather than fruit fragrance--but I don't mind it, and I am extremely sensitive to smells.  The Nurian brand is one that I have quickly grown to love. Since buying this body butter I have also bought several hand lotions, as well. I have very dry skin and this sinks in without being overly greasy or smelly. The best part is the ingredients: 
Coconut oil, shea butter, papaya enzymes and comfrey root extract. 
You can't get any more natural than that! 


Finding a good facial moisturizer has been the bane of my existence for as long as I can remember. I have very dry skin that reacts if a product is too smelly, harsh or drying. It was hard enough to find a normal brand that worked perfectly...I feared it would take ages to find a natural brand. This moisturizer quenched all my doubts--it has a gel consistency and is oil-free, but it is hydrating enough for my dry skin. The smell is very light and refreshing, and a fairly large tub costs about $10. Good for my skin and my wallet! (I later learned that this brand is often referred to as a "gateway" natural brand because while it does not contain parabens, it does contain phenoxyethanol which die-hard naturalists are against)
 


I had never heard of tea tree oil much less used it in my beauty regime, until I decided to try this shampoo which had received rave reviews. My hair tends to get dry on the bottom and oily near the roots...and now I've found the solution. A tea tree based shampoo (tea tree neutralizes the oil on your skin, and is often used in natural acne treatments), and a creamy conditioner (I have yet to find a more natural alternative for the one I currently use). I only use this shampoo every other wash as I don't want to strip my hair. It works great, and my hair looks great afterward. My only disappointment was that it did not smell in the faintest of lemons.



As I wrote in my first post of the series, my interest in natural skincare started with sunscreens. I had been using the Alba Botanica regular sunscreen and it was a pain, to say the least. It came out white, didn't sink into the skin, and would create a filmy, milky layer during swimming. I was very tempted to go back to my Hawaiian Tropicals sunscreen. And then I read about this new version on several blogs and decided to give it a go. It is GREAT. You won't even notice a difference between regular brands, and it smells heavenly. I'll be saving it for our Australia trip in December. 

There you have it - a few natural products that are accessible, give great results, and are well priced. I'm not the sort of person who will go and slather anything on my face so long as it says "natural" or "organic". In fact, many products labeled as such are NOT natural or organic. 

I also feel that the "natural" craze often goes too far, questioning every singe ingredient and preservative, spouting unfounded "research" and "scientific claims". For this reason, I have decided to concentrate my search for paraben free products, which have been decidedly and legitimately proven to contribute to increased risks of cancer. That alone eliminates about 90% of products found on drugstore shelves. 

If you are interested in trying out natural products, or simply are looking for good beauty care, products for use around the home, etc., do look on Vitacost. Their shipping is fast and the products are reviewed and all information is out in the open.

If you sign up through my referral link, you (and I) will receive a $10 credit for any order.

Happy Shopping!


2 comments:

Johanna said...

I love Alba and Desert Essence products. They smell so good and you can actually pronounce the ingredients!

Thanks for your sweet note!

NaturalBeautyCh said...

Brilliant post! Happy to know that I am not alone in this world to wonder)))

Marija